Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To Love is to be Safe.



I wish to share to you a poem that I read about five years ago. The poem was written by the then Superior General of the Jesuits. After reading this again I found myself asking again the same question I asked five years ago. What’s the meaning of my existence. Am i created for someone? Am I created for something? Or Am I just created out of accident.
"Nothing is more practical than finding God
that is falling in love in a quite absolute, final way.
What you are in love with,
what seizes your imagination,
will affect everything.
...
It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning,
what you will do with your evening,
how you spend your weekends,
what you read,
whom you know,
what breaks your heart,
and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.
Fall in love,
stay in love,
and it will decide everything."

-Fr. Pedro Arrupe, S.J.
General of the Society of Jesus
Deus Caritas Est, (God is Love) we can say that Love and God are synonymous. Philosophical speaking the Being of God is Love . He exist because he love. We are created out of that love. That is why as early as the beginning of our life we look for love. A baby will look for his mother not just because he or she is hungry but because of the protection he can get from the comfort of his mother. Thus I propose that Love is a feeling of being protected.
Love as a feeling of being protected:
Safety is necessary for us to exist. Thats why we have a notion of the survival of the fittest. Only those who are strong enough can continue to exist and the weak ones they are doomed. Whenever I feel that I am safe I cling into that person. Most of the time we found this in our parent in our family most specially in our fathers. Whenever I am with my father I felt safe (although this will not apply to me because I never had a chance to know my biological father) the feeling of being safe is tantamount to being love. The poem suggests that finding God is the most practical thing to do. I agree with that because if you find God you will feel safe. Safe in his loving presence and safe in his love. Unlike the love that we experience in this world. All are just passing and momentary. The love that we acquire from this life is not perfect. We will always try to find that love with our parents, our lovers, with our friends but we will just be disappointed because at the end of the day God posses the perfect love.
At the end of the day...
I am looking for safety, protection and assurance that this love that I am experiencing will not fade.
I will not find that Love here on earth certainly (base from experience)
But certainly I can find it and I found him.
Nothing is more practical than finding GOD.

NATHANIEL BRAZIL
LST-ADMU

No comments:

Post a Comment